Please excuse the slightly rough audio for the first 30 or so minutes. I am working to improve the audio overall but ended up with some unwanted vocal distortions throughout the first half of the podcast. I believe the content, however, is worth listening to regardless.
John Walton—professor of Old Testament at Wheaton College and formerly of Moody Bible Institute—suggests that we have been looking at Genesis all wrong for quite some time. His view is that since it is characteristic of most Ancient Near Eastern literature to view creation in light of functionality vs. material origin, so should the biblical text be interpreted in such a way. In this lesson, we take on that view as part of our “Biblical Origin of Humanity” series.
In this lesson, you’ll learn:
- Why placing hermeneutical priority on ANE texts undermines biblical authority and inspiration.
- Why placing hermeneutical priority on ANE texts undermines biblical perspicuity.
- Why the functional view of origins is foreign to any reasonable understanding of the biblical text.
Mentioned in this lesson:
- Searching for Adam: Genesis & the Truth About Man’s Origin
- Does the Punishment for Original Sin Fit the Crime?
Thanks so much for listening. Please subscribe and share on iTunes!
Also, please consider donating to the ministry on Patreon. God Bless!
Free Email Course
If you're anything like me, you have a hard time witnessing to unbelievers. You want to present the truth of the gospel in a compelling, respectful way, but you find it difficult to overcome objections.
That's why I wrote this four lesson course, where you'll learn how to finally Defend Your Faith with Confidence.
You can't buy this course, but you can get it for free by entering your first name and email address below.